How to Apply:
- The state of Iowa has created the "Iowa GenWeb Project," which is a free database of death records organized by county. These records are generally from 1880 - 1950, so if the death occurred within those years try accessing the record online at their website (see "Website" below).
- If you are looking for a death record that was more recent than 1950, you can apply for one by mail. You need to first download this form from the Iowa Department of Public Health.
- Complete the above form and mail it, along with a copy of your government issued photo identification, and any applicable fees,to:
Iowa Department of Public Health
Bureau of Health Statistics
Lucas State Office Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0075
- The Iowa GenWeb Project breaks down the obituaries by county, so make sure you know what county the death occurred.
- Per Iowa law, information about a specific record is not available over the
telephone or by prepared lists.
- Entitled persons include the person named on the record or that person's spouse, children, legal parents, grandparents, grandchildren, or siblings.
- Legal representatives must also provide additional proof of representation.
- Applicants must be 18 or older.
- Free (for death records from 1880 - 1950), $15.00 otherwise